In need of a weekend getaway? YMCA of the Rockies is easy to get to, easy on the pocket book and provides the family with fun activities. An added bonus for parents who are tired of cooking and dishes: the Y has a dining hall on campus offering buffet-style breakfast, lunch and dinner, with lots of options for even the pickiest of eaters. And, if you choose to stay in one of the cabins, you can bring along the family dog! Here is a picture-heavy post from our weekend getaway at the YMCA of the Rockies to show you all the perks of this fun destination.
Only one hour from Boulder, the drive to the YMCA is a quick trip up Hwy 36 (just a few minutes outside of Estes Park).
The Y is bordered on three sides by Rocky Mountain National Park, nestled in the gorgeous natural beauty of the Rocky Mountains.
YMCA of the Rockies offers a ton of fun fee-based activities including archery lessons, horseback riding and so much more. Our daughters were thrilled to spend the afternoon indoor rock climbing. The climbing leaders were knowledgeable and so friendly.
We spent some time at the Sweet Memorial Building, where the girls had the opportunity to learn about the local wildlife with hands-on displays. While we were there, we signed up for the escape room!
Just outside of the arts center is a large playground (one of many playgrounds throughout the campus). Other free activities include: mini golf, roller skating, swimming at the indoor pool, yoga and more!
We took a trip into Estes Park to take a ride on the iconic rainbow slide at Fun City.
The YMCA has a ton of hiking trails! We saw elk, deer and bunnies as we explored the area. The hiking was definitely our dog’s favorite part of the trip.
When I asked the girls what their favorite part of the trip was, our youngest daughter said: “the cabin!” And it really was special. A full kitchen, bunk beds for the kids (and a lovely king size bed for us parents), as well as a full kitchen plus a living room with a fireplace.
After this weekend, I would love to make visiting the YMCA of the Rockies a family tradition. It was a great place to reconnect and relax.
The YMCA of the Rockies at Estes Park is located at 2515 Tunnel Rd, Estes Park, CO 80511. Lodging rates are seasonal and depend on lodging type. For a full lodging guide and activity list for 2019, click here.
- Complete Boulder Holiday Events Guide 2019 - November 15, 2019
- Where to Visit with Santa in the Boulder Area 2019 - November 15, 2019
- 30+ Things to Do in Boulder in November 2019 - October 28, 2019
- 8 Halloween Events for Adults in the Boulder Area - October 20, 2019
- 20 Halloween Activities and Events for Kids in the Boulder Area - October 20, 2019
- Our Guide to the Best Things to Do in Boulder - October 18, 2019
- 31+ Things to Do in Boulder in October 2019 - October 1, 2019
- Pumpkin Patches Near Boulder 2019 [Interactive Map] - September 23, 2019
- Fall Festivals & Celebrations in the Boulder Area - September 10, 2019
- 30 Things to Do in Boulder in September 2019 - August 30, 2019