Have you thought about taking your small kids to the Denver Art Museum but reconsidered, thinking that the art museum would be too serene for your littles? Me too! Turns out I was wrong. The Denver Art Museum is packed with kid and family-friendly amenities. The best part? Kids get in FREE. Every day.
Denver Art Museum’s 3D Studio
Build an abstract sculpture with paper, create an animal with wire, and even see artists demonstrate their craft at the 3D Studio in the Denver Art Museum. This room will bring the maker out in you and your kids, with all the supplies at your fingertips, an lots of inspiration around you! Access to the 3D studio is included with museum admission.
A Walk in the Woods: Animal Themed Artmaking Activities
On the 3rd floor of the Hamilton Building, the Denver Art Museum offers a space for young makers to explore art with animal-inspired activities.
Activities include building sculptures with sticks, dressing up in animal costumes, and making a shadowbox.
There is also a comfy space outside of the artmaking room to take a break and read some books!
Explore the Exhibits with Gallery Games & Sketching
The museum provides scavenger hunts for certain exhibits, to give kids the chance to play while moving through the galleries. These gallery games are currently available at two exhibits – Ganesha: The Playful Protector and Stampede: Animals in Art. For kids who enjoy drawing, there are sketch pads and pencils at the ready, as well as small portable chairs so that, when you or your child is inspired to draw, you and your child can settle in!
Enchant your Kids with Stampede: Animals in Art Exhibit
This exhibit is really interesting because the art displayed spans centuries, cultures, belief systems, technology, mediums and more. The theme that ties them all together is animals. It is fascinating! A theme that is intriguing for adults and enchanting for children.
Within this exhibit, there are three bronze horses sculpted by Deborah Butterfield. They are truly dazzling! Inside this room sits three easels, a perfect spot for kids to try their hand at making animal-themed art.
There are a ton of fun events and activities that the museum puts on for kids during school breaks and weekends. For the latest, click here.
The Denver Art Museum is located at 100 W 14th Ave Pkwy, Denver, CO 80204. The museum is open Monday – Thursday 10AM – 5PM, Friday 10AM – 8PM and Saturday – Sunday 10AM – 5PM. Admission to the museum is $10/Adults ($13 Non-Colorado Resident), $8/Seniors & Students ($10 Non-Colorado Resident), Always FREE for Kids 18 and under. Admission to the museum is FREE on the first Saturday of every month to everyone!
- 20 Halloween Activities and Events for Kids in the Boulder Area - October 20, 2019
- Our Guide to the Best Things to Do in Boulder - October 18, 2019
- 31+ Things to Do in Boulder in October 2019 - October 1, 2019
- Pumpkin Patches Near Boulder 2019 [Interactive Map] - September 23, 2019
- Fall Festivals & Celebrations in the Boulder Area - September 10, 2019
- 30 Things to Do in Boulder in September 2019 - August 30, 2019
- 5 Reasons to Love Fall in Boulder - August 20, 2019
- 30+ Things to Do in Boulder in August 2019 - July 30, 2019
- Lend a Helping Hand: 5 Local Organizations Making Difference in Our Colorado Communities - July 16, 2019
- 4th of July Celebrations & Events in the Boulder Area - July 1, 2019